Thursday, August 16, 2007

Deadlock

A few weeks back I found myself unable to decide between two choices. My heart was set on one thing while my mind was telling me to do the exact opposite. One second I'd feel like following my heart and the next second the brain. I just wasn't being able to figure out which way to go.

It was like a deadlock.

The Dalai Lama in the book The Art of Happiness says that in such situations you should ask yourself "what is going to give me pleasure?" If doing one thing is going to make you happy while the other option will leave you discontent then it becomes obvious which road one should take.

This one simple question helps you decide what you want to keep in your life and what you should discard... an easy way for removing all the clutter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: I am putting below the post that I had written originally. The criticism for it wasn't well received initially. :p Quite some time has passed since then. And so I decided to take it up again. I am hoping that I get better comments for the second attempt. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just wondering why does confusion arise. Is it because of us having two minds or two hearts at the same time?

I think if we were functioning only with our brains or only our hearts then decision making would probably be an easy task. We might not be taking the correct decisions but atleast we'll be able to arrive at some conclusion.

Its really when the mind and the heart affect us simultaneously that it becomes diffcult to make a choice as both pull us in opposite directions. Whether you go this way or that you just don't get it right. Whatever you do, you don't feel any satisfaction and contentment.

This situation is what is called a deadlock.

2 comments:

Azahar Machwe said...

pray elucidate... n 2 hearts 2 minds? yeh kanha ke aliens hain?

Tuhina Adit Maark said...

you sure are alien to what is called confusion. :p

what i meant was how sometimes our heart/mind is divided... as if we had 2 hearts and 2 minds... one saying one thing and the other a second thing.