Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Morning school assemblies

Yesterday was my Ph.D. viva and it made me ask myself the question when was the first time I had spoken on a platform. The answer was in class fifth. From the faint memories I have of that time I recall that during an English lesson I had recited a poem from our reader titled "Abou ben Adam". My teacher was rather pleased and felt I should give a repeat performance in the school's morning assembly. She had to specially take permission from the Junior School (classes Nursery-V) Headmistress to allow me to speak. I practised quite hard and it paid off. When the moment arrived I managed to deliver without faltering.

In Middle School (classes VI-VIII) and Senior School (classes IX-XII) the format of the assemblies was different. Every day the assembly was conducted by students of one of the houses (Chenab, Ganga, Sutlej, Ravi, Yamuna and Jhelum) of the school. It would have to include a thought for the day, followed by the morning news, scripture reading and then speech. I spoke on many occasions and even enjoyed it, sometimes speaking because I wanted to and sometimes for filling in for a student gone absent.

A few years after I passed out of my alma mater I heard that barring a few special assemblies this morning ritual had been stopped. While some of my friends rejoiced at this news, I thought it was sad. Agreed because of the school timings and the extreme weather in Delhi we used to find ourselves either sweating in the sweltering heat or shivering in the biting cold in the huge playground. But it also gave us the chance to gossip with friends, exchange notes with students of other sections, and to look at awe at all the seniors and dream about growing up. It used to be a proud moment when receiving a certificate or a prize from the hands of a chief guest in front of such a huge audience.

For going to debating or recitation competitions one always needed the backing of teachers who had the necessary authority. But for speaking in assemblies there was full freedom. If you had the willingness then all you had to do was express your interest to the House Captains and they'd happily give you the next immediately available chance.

For me it was through such experiences that I gained confidence, developed public speaking skills and managed to get over stage fright. I, therefore, fervently wish that this practice of morning assemblies is brought back to schools and continued so that young students who are otherwise shy learn to shed their inhibitions and take pride in themselves.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

nice tuhina u made the golden days remembered once again...........

Black coffee said...

congts. Dr. Tuhina once again :)
You made everyone proud at your viva..
I wish u best of best in future!

Tuhina Adit Maark said...

@Apra: Thanks... keep visiting my blog

@Ideh: Thank you so much. I mentioned you during my farewell. Wish you could have been there.