Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Taare Zameen Par


Taare Zameen Par (TZP) was one film that I was looking forward to see, it being the directorial debut of my favourite actor Aamir Khan. I finally got a chance to watch TZP on Sunday. It turned out to be a really wonderful treat.

I simply adored the expressions of kids that were caught on camera while their Principal was giving a speech in the morning assembly. I loved the scene where Ishaan's mother notices all his wounds while the neighbourhood Aunty was complaining about his misbehaviour. I could feel Ishaan's anger, pain and loneliness at having been sent off to boarding school as punishment. I cried along with him as the song Ma... played in the background. While the art teacher Ram Shankar Nikumbh's entry brought a smile on my face. How he slowly but surely manages to bring about a change in the attitudes of other school teachers, softens Ishaan's parents' hearts and also helps Ishaan realize his true potential forms the second half of the film.

The beauty of the film lies in its simplicity and naturalness. This wouldn't have been possible without the new kid on the block Darsheel Safary's wonderful portrayal of Ishaan; the refreshing story spun by Amole Gupte, the writer and creative director of TZP; the tight editing of Deepa Bhatia which never let the film slip away; lovely expressions of all the children captured by the photographer Setu and beautiful lines penned by the lyricist Prasoon Joshi. The two songs that touched my heart are Maa... main kabhi and Taare zameen par.... (Click on the links to read the Hindi lyrics and their English translations.)

A big round of applause also goes to Aamir Khan for his acting as the caring teacher and for his outstanding job as a director. I am sure his contemporaries and peers must be left exasperated. Here they are sweating out building 6 pack abs, getting 31 stars to appear in a song and spending crores for publicizing their films, while all Aamir Khan needs to create history is an 8 year old boy.

Aamir Khan succeeds in keeping everything about the film real which is why the audiences have connected so well with it. Though TZP is the story of a dyslexic child, people have on their own understood that the difficulties which Ishaan faces in school are encountered by many children. TZP tells us without how its time we stop breeding children as if they are race horses. It makes us realize that all we need to give kids is love and care to show them how special they are.

Taare Zameen Par is truly in Aamir Khan's own words a film dedicated "to children, and childhood."

4 comments:

Manipal said...

wat is dis? everyone knows and talk about it..... Again u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even Amirkhan has never ever written dis much big story, i guess..........:-)

प्रशांत said...

Hi NCLGirl,
I also liked the movie TZP. It is simply great! And the song, "Maa..." is my favorite too. I downloaded it on my laptop. The lyrics are really nice and touch the heart. Thank you for sharing the lyrics of the song.
All the best.

Vibgyor said...

'Maa' is my current favourite song as well :)

Azahar Machwe said...

My fav. song is Kholo kholo (during the painting mela!).

Watching the movie was an adventure in itself. I will surely never forget this movie! :D