Monday, September 29, 2008

Sydney travelogue (1): A dream comes true

In the beginning of 2008 I had wished for a stamp on my passport and on 13 September as I set foot on Australian land it got fulfilled. This journey, however, started months ago when I first heard about a conference that was going to be held in Sydney. Abstract of the paper I would present was uploaded before the deadline of submission. This was followed by a month or two long wait of hearing from the conference organizers about the acceptance of the abstract for presentation. Then began the relentless search for funding to cover the travel and accommodation expenses. Applications were fired off to NCL, DST, CSIR and CCSTDS. The fact that two labmates were competing for the same money for the same conference was a topic of discussion and worry at our tea sessions. Ultimately we both made it.

Simultaneously a search was being carried out for the best place to stay in Sydney. I ultimately selected the Pensione Hotel on George Street because of its proximity to my conference venue on Darling Harbour. A rough itinerary was made for the trip and air tickets were booked. My colleague and I decided to take Singapore Airlines with which we would reach Sydney in the morning itself and get the whole day to ourselves. A lot of paper work had to be done for the Visa as well. But I didn't complain much when within three days of submitting the application I was issued an Australian Visa. Only when I saw the Visa with my own eyes it actually sank in that I would now really be going!! It also gave me an impetuous to shop. Clothes, footwear and accessories were bought. A couple of days before the date of departure I could think of nothing else except Sydney and work come to a standstill.

Early morning 3 am on 12 September with all my bags packed I was ready to go. First my labmate Rahul and I took a road trip from Pune to Mumbai's Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport. Once our baggage got checked-in and we had got the coveted stamp on immigration by 9.30 am we had two more hours to kill. The wait was killing with my heart brimming with excitement. Somehow time moved and we got to board the flight. When finally the plane took off I couldn't help but remember Aamir Khan's dialogue to Preity Zinta in the movie Dil Chahta Hai: "Kya baat hai!! Hum teeno Sydney jaa rahein hain! Main, tum aur yeh plane." I made full use of the long flight to Singapore by watching two movies back to back. I saw Made of Honour and What Happens in Vegas.

We reached Singapore right on time at 7.20 pm. Our connecting flight was to leave in 40 minutes. Quickly Rahul and I found our way around and though in a hurry we could not help but be impressed by the Singapore Airport. The ride in the Sky Train to go from one terminal to another was great fun. The fun gave way to tiredness once I was on the plane. All I wanted to do was sleep but couldn't with the flight service still on till nearly 1 am. So I saw my third movie of the day: Sex and The City. Once the lights were switched off I dozed off for 3 hours dreaming what not in the process. By 4 am I was up and awake and absolutely fresh.

At exactly 5.55 am our flight landed in Sydney.

No comments: