Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Some bad luck and some good luck

Just like millions of Indian cricket team's supporters I too was looking forward to watch the Twenty20 World Cup final against Pakistan. At 5.30 pm on Monday I found myself glued to the television. After an hour suddenly the cable went away. Every minute I prayed it to come back. But my bad luck. The screen remained blurry.

Not a person to give up easily, I decided to follow the match on Radio Mirchi. On most occasions when I want to hear songs all I get to hear are ads. But on Monday evening when I didn't want to listen to music thats what was being played without breaks!

Suddenly it struck me that I could learn about the score on the internet. So I turned on the computer but much to my dismay the server was down. That's what Adrian Mole would call "worse luck."

I could hear claps, cheers and whistles coming from near by colonies and my longing for seeing the match increased by a good 100 folds.

From the drawing room window of our house we can see flats in the building standing upfront. I noticed that a tv was on in one of the apartments where some boys stay. But I couldn't see it clearly because of the great distance in between. I remembered luckily at that time that Daddy had been gifted binoculars. Still better I managed to find them.

Using those binoculars I saw nearly the entire Pakistan's innings. I was really scared all the time that one of the guys will suddenly decide to look out of the window or go to the balcony to find me peering into their lives. I persevered against all odds pretty much like our team who went on to clinch the coveted championship.

Its astounding... the things we sometimes do to get what we want.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) Your article brought a big smile on my face. Infact, I think I heard a chuckle too.

-Neha