Saturday, July 28, 2007

From fat to slim (6): how to keep going??

I have now been going to the gym for 1 month and 3 weeks. Occasionally I feel these urges of having a pastry or eating a burger. Its finally becoming boring including salads during and fruits after the meals. Someone recently asked me "isn't it frustrating?" Thankfully I haven't reached that stage yet.

Ofcourse there have been days when I've woken up at six in the morning grumbling "mujhe gym nahi jaana!". I then remind myself of the oodles of weight I've lost, the stamina that I've gained and the compliments that are still pouring in. And finally nothing beats the happiness on being able to fit into my old college jeans!! That's what has been keeping me going.

My trainer had told me that 25% of the weight loss is a result of exercises and 75% of it comes from dieting. As I have been constantly reminding my elder sister, this does not mean that I have been starving myself. I am just eating healthier. My lifestyle has become more disciplined. I know things can only get better from here.

I read in a magazine where one woman said that she sticks her latest slim and trim photo on her fridge. So whenever she opens it she always picks up an apple instead of a pastry or a chocolate. For another lady putting pictures of her old fat self on the fridge did the trick. :p

There is a fun way too of making oneself stick to the regime. Treat yourself at the end of every month that you followed the diet and exercise drill. Like I bought two nice tops for myself some weeks ago. I am already being told by friends to buy new jeans next for myself! You can decide to get yourself pampered by going for a massage as a prize. :D

I do eat a small packet of Lays once during a week. Since I can't do without cheese in my sandwiches I have switched to low fat cow's cheese. As I hadn't eaten junk food in all this while I didn't mind indulging myself when I attended my friend's wedding reception last week. I ate sandesh, barfi and a slice of cake. I even ate chicken and fish avoiding the heavy curries and only taking the chunks while doing so. When I hit the gym again after a three day break I put in an extra 20 minutes of cardio in addition to the regular half an hour of treadmilling and crosstraining.

I have been told to enjoy this new routine. Well... sweating out is no fun. But its not too bad either. Neither is it too difficult.

My small bit of advice: Be serious about your targets but don't take it too seriously. There's nothing wrong in wanting to look your best as long as you don't get consumed by it.

No comments: