Wednesday, April 23, 2008

IIT Bombay lingo

During my nearly three year stay at IIT Bombay I heard many a slang phrases. Some of those words stayed with me and I still happen to use them in my everyday lingo. My favourites are:

Ab chamka!!??
When you have been trying to understand something for a long time and after many failed attempts you finally get it, then you exclaim with jubilation "ab chamka or "chamak gaya".

Bahut nabad ho raha hai!!!
This is what you'll find yourself saying when you are in grave and extreme tension specially a few hours before quiz or exam time. Nabad is nothing but NBD which is short for Nervous BreakDown.

Maaroing nightouts.
This is rather self explanatory. It stands for burning not just the midnight oil but the all-night oil. Everybody in IIT Bombay has on at least one occasion given an exam without having slept a wink the night before.

Kya fart hai!!!!!
This phrase is used whenever something bugging, that irritates you to the core, happens. The computer that I have been sitting on has been troubling me since morning and hence I have been saying this again and again all day long, though only in my head to avoid embarrassment. A milder and less shocking version would have been "kya bakwaas hai!!"

Daya!!
This is how you respond when (i) a person says anything far fetched, (b) something beyond imagination happens and its just too much for you, or (c) when you want someone to stop rambling. The number of extra a's and exclamation marks added in the end whether in writing or in sound is indicative of the length, breadth and depth of the atrocity being inflicted on you.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

how can you forget "scope"?

Tuhina Adit Maark said...

@manish: yeah... how could i forget!! thanks for the reminding. :)

Vibgyor said...

too cool...howcome i have never seen u using them with me or anybody else. And hey "scope" is popular in my uni too coz of an elective subject.

Anonymous said...

Hehe Rightly said. Mast hai

Vartika said...

tell me about it!!
there is so much more!!
but have to get myself to stop uing'em so often now...

Tuhina Adit Maark said...

@vartika: i don't think you'll ever stop using the IITB lingo. it always manages to creep in somehow. :p

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I like your website!
Look at my blog post ; captcha decoder

Anonymous said...

It іs not my first time to pay a quick visit this web page, i am browѕing
this ѕіte dailly аnd take pleasant infοrmatіon from here every dау.
Also see my web page > php bypass captcha