Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Skarholmen, Uppsala

A while ago we had a long four day weekend in Sweden. Wanting to finish some work I went to the university. Two of my friends had also come. It was a glorious sunny day. On the spur of the moment a plan was made to go for a walk post lunch. The walk eventually turned into a short bus ride to Sunnersta Skarholmen.

I had been under the belief that Uppsala is a city surrounded by land. So finding a huge waterbody was a big surprise. Skarholmen is a harbor. A part of it meanders and actually connects to Stockholm.













There was a long stretch of water. The water itself was glistening in the summer sun. We saw many private boats parked there. Closeby was also a mini beach. Many people were sunbathing. Girls and boys were swimming. Kids were playing under the watchful eyes of their parents. Couples were strolling with babies in prams.

Watching the beauty relaxed me. That there was such a place so easily accessible made me feel wonderful. To me suddenly Uppsala stopped seeming small.

Skarholmen gave a form to the phrase of "expanding your horizon."

Here are some photos that I took that day.


-------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Like it was for me, did something surprise you about the city you are living in and made it more likeable for you?

3 comments:

Adit said...

Where are the sun bathing pictures ? :D

Tuhina Adit Maark said...

They have been purposefully not displayed. :p

Azahar Machwe said...

:D I believe even the neighborhood that you have spent years and years in, can sometimes surprise you.
There are always some hidden paths and corners that are there for the avid explorer to find. Like when I started using the local rail station and discovered the back lanes around our street!