Saturday, February 12, 2011

Thanking for the bad

A young woman was sitting at her dining table, worried about taxes to be paid, house-work to be done and to top it all, her family was coming over for Thanksgiving the next day. She was not feeling very thankful at that time. As she turned her gaze sideways, she noticed her young daughter scribbling furiously into her notebook.

“My teacher asked us to write a paragraph on Negative Thanksgiving for homework today.” said the daughter, “She asked us to write down things that we are thankful for, things that make us feel not so good in the beginning, but turn out to be good after all.”

With curiosity, the mother peeked into the book.

This is what the daughter had written:

“I’m thankful for Final Exams, because that means school is almost over.
I’m thankful for bad-tasting medicine, because it helps me feel better.
I’m thankful for waking up to alarm clocks, because it means I’m still alive.”

It then dawned on the mother, that she had a lot of things to be thankful for!

She thought again…
She had to pay taxes but she that meant she was fortunate to be employed.
She had house-work to do but that meant she had her own home to live in.
She had to cook for her family for Thanksgiving but that meant she had a family with whom she could celebrate.


A friend forwarded me this story a while back and I remember it bringing a smile on my face. We always thank God for the good things in our life but immediately start questioning Him for the bad. In tough situations we wonder why is it us facing the music. Sometimes even the simplest of chores appear burdensome.

The above story makes us realize that in our everyday worries we tend to forget what all we have been blessed with.
It tells us that behind the difficulties we come across, there is a hidden good which we should try to recognize and be thankful and happy for. Instead of whining, we should look at the silver lining of the cloud. Like Thomas Edison who had once said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." we should see the bright side of life.

No comments: